WordPress 5.2, “Jaco,” was released yesterday. I’ve updated all my personal websites and so far so good.
Updates reported on WordPress.org in this new version of WordPress include:
- New Site Health Check – Two new pages to help debug common configuration issues. Check your site health or status by visiting Tools > Site Health.
- PHP Error Protection – In english this provides White-Screen-of-Death (WSOD) protection that lets site admins access their backend in the case of catastrophic PHP errors.
- Accessibility Updates. Changes improve contextual awareness and keyboard navigation flow for those using screen readers and other assistive technologies.
- New Dashboard Icons. Thirteen new icons include Instagram, a suite of icons for BuddyPress, and rotated Earth icons for global inclusion
- Plugin PHP Compatibility Checks. WordPress will now automatically check whether your site’s version of PHP is compatible with installed plugins and prevent plugin activation if the plugin uses a higher PHP version.
- PHP Version Bump. The minimum supported PHP version is now 5.6.20.
- …and more!
If your update causes problems on your site, contact wp-maintain.com to get your problems resolved.